Monday, January 11, 2016

God's Generosity

There is a parable in Mathew 20 in which Jesus talks about Laborers in the Vineyard. In it, the master of the house goes out to find laborers to work in his vineyard and promises to pay them a certain sum. He later goes out and finds more workers and promises to pay them. This goes on a couple more times until it’s time to pay out the workers. In the end all of the workers make the same amount. The workers that have been there the entire day are a little upset about this as they thought they deserved more. Interestingly, rather than capitulating to the demand the master of the house responds with a beautiful statement: “Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius? Take what belongs to you and go. I choose to give to this last worker as I give to you. Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or do you begrudge my generosity?”

How often in life do we complain about others getting blessings from God. How often are we guilty of chastising God for giving to others what we want. How quickly we often forget God’s generosity in our own lives. Many times we are so busy looking at what others have that we neglect to see what God has provided for us in our own lives.


How about for the next week you look to what God has provided you in your life? Not the things you think you want, or perhaps think you need; but the things you already have that God has generously given to you. Let’s not begrudge God’s generosity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment